Today has been a day of many firsts. I opened my very first student bank account at Nedbank. Aahh – the perks of being a university student!
I bought my first full phone cover – a nice Body Glove one I might add – and completed my application for my first Thank U rewards card from CNA.
I also cooked Quinoa – a grain-like seed that can be substituted for brown rice or other whole grains – for the first time. I have been excited to try it out ever since I read about the wonderful properties of this versatile food: Quinoa is higher in protein than other whole grains and cooks in only 15 minutes – perfect if you are running short of time and need to get dinner on the table! It also contains each of the 9 essential amino acids, making it a complete source of protein. Can those following a vegan diet ask for more??
I purchased my Quinoa at Checkers, but it is also available at health food stores and retailers such as DisChem. Pictured below is the brand I used, but they are manufactured under various different brand names.
I paired the Quinoa with another first for today – I decided to experiment with a new dish and cooked some lovely Vegetable Coconut Curry.
Seemingly insignificant in and of themselves, I felt that these first-time events in my life are worth a mention simply because of the last and most important first-time event of my day – my very first blog post. Today, this post marks my first blog entry for VeeDine Intervention. After months of planning, doubting, brainstorming, and debating the pros and cons of starting a blog, the moment has finally arrived. My vision to inspire, educate, share wonderful (well, at least to me) recipes, and entertain through blogging about veganism and life has finally taken flight. Now there is no turning back!
I am excited to embark on this journey, and it is my hope that those who stumble upon this blog will share in that excitement too!
Now, on to the good stuff – the curry recipe of course!
When I started preparing dinner tonight I had no idea how this would turn out, but I was feeling inspired and adventurous so I decided to give it a go.
VEGETABLE COCONUT CURRY
- 1 Medium Onion -diced
- 2 large carrots – chopped
- 8-12 baby marrows – chopped (if using zucchinis, use 1-2 depending on the size)
- 1/2 head of green cabbage -diced
- 1/2 large bag of prepacked spinach
- 3-4 cups of butternut – diced
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 tin coconut milk (light or normal)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 cup vegetable broth (I used Ina Paarman’s vegetable broth mix)
- 1 heaped tsp cumin
- 2 heaped tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp madras curry powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 2 cups water
1. In a large pot, heat the coconut oil and add the onions, sauteing them until translucent.
2. Add the garlic and saute for about 1 minute.
3. Add the garam masala, cumin and madras and mix together, sauteing for another minute.
4. Add all the vegetables except for the spinach, as well as the coconut milk and vegetable broth. Stir together well and reduce the heat slightly, allowing to simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the butternut is tender.
5. Meanwhile, add the Quinoa and water to a separate pot and allow the water to come to a boil. Add salt and rice spice mix if desired. Once boiling, reduce the heat and cover the pot, allowing the Quinoa to simmer for about 15 min or until all the water is absorbed.
6. 15 minutes before serving, stir the spinach leaves into the vegetable stew and allow to wilt.
7. Add salt to taste and serve.
Note: I thoroughly enjoyed this dish, but normally prefer my stews and curries to be a bit spicier. If you enjoy spicier food, increase the spice quantities mentioned above by one half to one teaspoon each.