What is pink, ultra-creamy, sweet with a hint of sour, and completely dairy free yet irresistible? This strawberry breakfast smoothie of course.
I have always enjoyed the taste of yoghurt, especially the fruity flavoured variations, yet I was skeptical as to whether one could successfully veganise a recipe to mimic the taste of yoghurt. Well, this creation, which happened by pure accident, has done the job pretty well! The powerful combination of sweet paw paw and slightly sour strawberry serves to create that distinct sweet and sour taste of yoghurt. This smoothie can be eaten as a nutritious and filling breakfast meal, or if you omit the heavier ingredients such as the oats and All-Bran it can be transformed into the ideal mid-morning snack, healthy milkshake for kids, or as a topping for muesli. The possibilities are endless – so go wild!
Strawberry “Yoghurt” Breakfast Smoothie
- 1/2 paw paw, pitted and peeled
- 1 large ripe banana
- 10-12 fresh or frozen strawberries
- 100-150ml of unsweetened soya milk (depending on the desired consistency)
- 1tbsp of natural organic peanut butter
- 1tsp of flax seed (optional)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup of All-Bran Flakes
- 1tsp molasses
- Place the banana, strawberries, paw paw and soy milk in a blender and blend until smooth
- Whilst the blades are running, add the flax seed, peanut butter, oats, All-Bran and molasses
- Blend until smooth, then pour into a glass and serve.
- Top with fresh strawberries is desired
Enjoy! So simple, yet so tasty 🙂